In this Aunty M Brain Tumour’s Talk Show episode, Susan Hitchmough discusses her journey of being diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma in 2021. She talks about her initial symptoms, diagnosis challenges during COVID-19, treatment, and lingering side effects. Susan shares her story of recovery and her involvement in The Beyond Recovery Project, a non-profit community supporting brain tumour survivors. She encourages listeners to visit the project’s website for support or involvement.
Aunty M Brain Tumour’s Talk Show with Guest Susan Hitchmough
- Susan’s diagnosis: September 24, 2021.
- The shock of being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
- Husband was away when she received the diagnosis.
- Researching her condition and dealing with the news.
- Initial symptoms: loss of balance, swallowing difficulties, dizziness.
- Diagnosis during COVID and phone consultations.
- Initially diagnosed with an ear infection.
- Eventually referred to an ear, nose, and throat specialist.
- MRI scan confirmed the diagnosis.
- Shunt placement to reduce fluid in the brain.
- Brain tumour removal surgery in February 2022.
- 95% of the tumour was successfully removed.
- The remaining 5% is left around the facial nerve.
- Regular MRIs to monitor any growth.
- Challenges after surgery: hearing loss, dry eye, loss of taste.
- Coping with tinnitus and its impact.
- Dealing with anxiety and sensory overload.
- Susan’s journey to regain confidence and overcome anxiety.
- Importance of celebrating small victories.
THE BEYOND RECOVERY PROJECT
- Susan and Sara Crosland’s initiative to support brain tumour survivors.
- Creating a community for survivors and their families.
- The Beyond Recovery Project’s goals and activities.
- Upcoming challenges and events, including mountain treks and marathons.
- Encouraging sponsorship and donations to support their cause.
- Retreats and camps to connect survivors and families.
HOW TO SUPPORT THE BEYOND RECOVERY PROJECT
- Visit their website: www.thebeyondrecoveryproject.org.
- Subscribe to their newsletters for updates.
- Follow them on social media and reach out for support.
- Donations and sponsorships are welcome.
- Upcoming event: a run along Hadrian’s Wall in October.
- Creating a supportive community for brain tumour survivors.
- Susan’s inspiring journey and determination.
- Recognizing the need to adapt to the “new you” post-surgery.
- Thanking Susan for sharing her story.
LINKS & RESOURCES:
View this post on Instagram